Friday, March 25, 2011

The Vines





This railing is one of my favorite pieces. I was at the client's home looking at some exterior work she wanted finished. When I came in I saw the iron work and fell in love with it. I'd never seen anything like it before. The homeowner designed it herself and had it made by an artist in Los Angeles. Unfortunately, it was plain old black. I asked her if I could make a sample for her and she said yes, loved it and hired me to do the work. I pulled out all the stops and went to town.

I used a blackened bronze base then added highlights in bronze, copper and several shades of green. The homeowner had a gorgeous bronze statue at the bottom of her staircase and I did my best to match it. This is the result. I worked with the vines, following their contours and concentrated on making the leaves dramatic. I love love love this piece. I love when a homeowner or designer gives me free reign and lets me go with my instincts as an artist. Trust the artist, friends. Good things happen.

No comments:

Post a Comment